iPhone & iPod touch Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
If you don't find the answer to your question in the FAQs below, you
may request technical support here.
- How does the trial version differ from the regular
- How do I install SplashID?
- What is the current version of SplashID and what
- How do I update my software?
- When I run SplashID 6, it asks me to Merge
users. What does this mean?
- I just purchased SplashID Desktop and need a registration
code. Where do I find it?
- I installed SplashID on a new desktop
and it's asking me for my registration code. Where can I find it?
- SplashID won't accept my registration code. Why
- How much do upgrades cost?
- Do I have to upgrade to version 6?
- Can I use SplashID on multiple handhelds and/or desktops?
- How can obtain a refund for my purchase on the
- Why is SplashID Safe asking for my email address during setup?
- How do I transfer my SplashID data from my previous
version (v.2.x or later)?
- How do I transfer my SplashID data from my previous
version (v.3.x or later)?
- How do I synchronize with my handheld?
- I can't locate my desktop computer from SplashID on my handheld to
- When I install and run SplashID Desktop, I get this
application has failed to start because dnssd.dll was not found"
- I cannot sync, or get the error: "SplashID
cannot connect to desktop application..."
- On Windows desktop, not all of my records are
synchronized from Desktop to iPhone.
- When I try to sync, it gives me an error saying the password doesn't
match the desktop.
- When I create a new Category or Type, it does not appear in the list.
- Is SplashID compatible with the iOS 4.0 update?
- How do I find my desktop IP address?
- Can't sync with SplashID desktop over VPN connection.
How does the trial version differ from the regular
The trial version and regular version are identical. The software
will run for 30-days in trial mode without requiring a registration code.
Once the 30-day trial expires, you must purchase a registration code to
continue using the product. Once you purchase a registration code, you
do not need to re-install the software. Simply enter the registration
code to continue using the software and all of your data will remain intact.
How do I install SplashID?
The iPhone version of SplashID is unique in that Apple sells
the handheld software separately through the App Store. We sell the desktop
companion software you sync with.
You must download and run the SplashID Safe desktop installer
on your desktop, as follows:
- Go to the download page, and click
the Download button for SplashID for Windows or Mac OS.
- When prompted with the "File Download" dialog box, select
"Save this program to disk" and save it in a place you are
sure to remember, like your Desktop.
- After the file has finished downloading, launch the Installer from
your desktop and follow the onscreen instructions.
- After the installation is complete, you will need to connect your
device to finish installing.
- For further instructions on how to use the software, double-click
the User Guide that was installed on your desktop.
What is the current version of SplashID and what
SplashID 6.2 is the current version for iPhone; 6.2 is the current
version for Mac and Windows. For an overview of changes, see the release
How do I update my software?
For the desktop software, download and run the latest SplashID Installer
found on the download
Note: Do NOT remove or delete the old version of SplashID on
your iPhone or iPod touch, as this will erase any data you have entered.
Just install the update over the existing installation of SplashID.
- Before you Update SplashID on the iPhone,
please make sure you have backed up your SplashID records on the Desktop
Save the .vID file in the Backup folder). You may also wish to sync
your handheld with iTunes to back it up.
- SplashID on your iPhone or iPod
touch will be updated to version 6.
- Update can be performed
either directly on the iPhone/iPod touch, or using iTunes on
methods of update should normally work, but it is easier to update
directly on the iPhone/iPod touch. Again, do NOT remove
or delete the old version of SplashID, as this will erase any
data you have entered. Just install the update over the existing
installation of SplashID
- To update on iPhone/iPod touch:
- Tap on App Store Icon -> Tap on
Updates Tab (Bottom-Right) -> Tap
on the SplashID application update
- If for some reason, update
on the iPhone does not work for you, here are the steps to update
using iTunes on Desktop:
- In the menu bar, Select Store -> Check for Purchases. SplashID
update will show up inside Downloads. Ensure you have SplashID
selected under Applications tab, and perform sync.
- Once you have updated, open SplashID on
iPhone/iPod touch. Verify the download is successful by looking
6.x" in the opening screen or in the About screen.
- You must update your desktop version
of SplashID as well. Download
the SplashID for iPhone Desktop updates for Windows and Mac.
Once again, verify that you have successfully updated by looking for
SplashID 6.x in the About dialog.
When I run SplashID 6, it asks me to Merge users.
What does this mean?
SplashID 6 creates a new user database tied to your email address to
provide unified sync across all your devices. So when you run version
6 for the first time, it offers to merge your old users into one new
database in case you had one user for iPhone, one for iPad, 1 for BlackBerry,
etc. In most cases, you will only want to merge one user - the main one
you used in version 5. If the data was the same in multiple user accounts,
then you only need to merge one (main) user, instead of merging them
all and ending up with duplicates. To do this, just select the main user,
click Merge, then Done.
If you have multiple users with different sets of records from each
other and you want to merge them together in version 6, select user 1,
click Merge, then select user 2, click Merge, etc, until you are done
merging users and then click Done.
If you fail to merge the correct user and find your data missing when
you get into SplashID 6, don't worry - you can still import the backup
VID data from the auto-backup folder from version 5:
I just purchased SplashID Desktop and need a registration
code. Where do I find it?
When you purchase the software online, an order confirmation email
is immediately sent to you (the email you gave in the purchase form)
containing your registration code. The registration code will begin with
the letters SDXU. Enter it exactly as it appears, and the trial software
will be converted into a registered version.
I installed SplashID on a new desktop and
it's asking me for my registration code. Where can I find it?
If you installed SplashID on a new computer, you can find
your existing registration code in "About SplashID" found in the Help
menu on Windows and SplashID menu on Mac.
If that doesn't work, contact
us and we'll respond with your registration code.
SplashID won't accept my registration code.
Make sure you are entering the correct registration code, and not your
order number. The registration code should begin with the letters SDXU
or SWXU. You may want to try entering the code without the dashes. Also,
make sure there are no spaces before, after, or within the code. Also,
make sure you are not confusing your registration code with your password.
The registration code only needs to be entered once. The password is a
word you define and must be entered each time you launch SplashID.
It is possible that you need to purchase an updated registration code
for version 5 if you have not already. You can do this by clicking the
Purchase button in the registration code dialog. There you will also
be able to enter your old registration code to get the discounted upgrade
How much do upgrades cost?
The SplashID 6 upgrade costs $9.95. Because of all the enhancements
that were made in SplashID 6, you will be asked to purchase an upgrade
from your version 4 or 5 license. You can purchase a license from within
the SplashID Safe desktop. You will be asked to do so at launch, but
you can also purchase a license from our website before running it.
The handheld software (for iPhone and iPod touch) is only available
from the App Store, and at this time there is no way to discount
sales through that channel.
Updates within a version (e.g., 2.0 to 2.1) are free to all registered
users. Major upgrades (e.g., 2.x to 3.x) are available at a substantial
discount to registered users. If you purchase within 30-days of a major
upgrade you will receive the upgrade for free.
Do I have to upgrade to version
No. You can continue to use version 5.4 on the desktop and sync with
the version 6 on the iPhone. The SplashID 6 upgrade is optional
and costs $9.95.
Can I use SplashID on multiple handhelds and/or desktops?
The license is per user and
is not tied to a specific device, but there may not be a way to transfer
the application to a second iPhone/iPod Touch.
How can I obtain a refund for my purchase
on the App Store?
Since we do not manage the App Store, we cannot process refunds for
it. Apple's policy is that all sales are final, but you can contact them
if you are truly dissatisfied here:
Why is SplashID Safe asking for my email address during setup?
With version 6, SplashID introduced unified desktop sync, so you can
synchronize your data across multiple mobile device platforms - iPhone,
iPad, Android and BlackBerry. In order to provide simple & secure unique
identification for synchronization, we decided to use your email address
to identify you.
Note: You should use the same email address you used during checkout
to activate your license during setup.
How do I transfer
my SplashID data from my previous version (v.2.x)?
We should walk your
data through version 3.32 if you want to keep it.
To do this, first export a backup of the SplashID desktop:
- File > Export > SplashID vID
Then quit and install SplashID 3.32:
Then run SplashID 3 on the desktop and make sure the data is ok. If
not, use File > Restore to restore the vID exported from version 2.
Then export another backup:
- File > Export > SplashID vID
- Save it on the desktop with a
Then quit and install SplashID Safe
Then run the SplashID Safe desktop and follow the guided setup. After
that, import the latest vID you exported, and sync again.
How do I transfer my SplashID
data from my previous version (v.3.x or later)?
- Launch your existing version of SplashID Desktop and export a backup:
Quit that version and launch SplashID Safe desktop.
Complete the guided setup to sync and establish the iPhone user on
Select File > Restore and select the backup
file you just exported to the desktop.
Sync again to transfer the SplashID Desktop data to the iPhone.
- File > Backup... Save the file to the desktop area.
How do I synchronize with my handheld?
In order to synchronize, you must do the following:
- Select the same network that your computer is on for your handheld
- Open the SplashID desktop
- Select the correct user from the User menu in the SplashID desktop
to match the device name
- Set the passwords the same on both the desktop and handheld software
- Adjust the iPhone Sync settings in Edit > Options > Sync if
- Start the Sync on the handheld:
- Select "Sync" from Tools
- Select your desktop computer
- Tap "Start Sync"
For detailed information, see the User
Guide on Synchronization.
I cannot sync,
or get the error: "SplashID cannot connect to desktop application..."
The following are possible causes of sync problems, including locating
the SplashID desktop from the Sync tool on the handheld application:
- The SplashID Safe desktop is not running.
- Solution: Start the SplashID Safe Desktop.
- The wrong version of SplashID is running on the desktop.
- Solution: Close the version you are running and make sure you
launch the application named SplashID Safe. On
Mac OS, it would be in Applications. On Windows, it would be in
Programs > SplashData > SplashID for Safe. If you don't
have this, you need to install
- iPhone device name contains accented characters.
- Solution: At this time, such characters need to be removed from
the username. These include characters such as -- é ü ç ñ
-- and others like these. To change the device name, connect the
device via USB to the computer and launch iTunes. Click on the
device name on the left browser panel once, and change the name
removing these characters.
- The wrong network is selected on the handheld.
- Solution: On the handheld, go to Settings > Wi-Fi. Make sure
it is turned on and the correct network is selected.
- Windows - Bonjour is not installed. Either Bonjour or iTunes must
- Solution: Reinstall SplashID and leave the box checked to install
- Desktop computer is behind a firewall or some other network blockage.
- Solution 1: Open up the Firewall connection (See
- Windows Firewall Settings > Exceptions > Check Bonjour
and SplashID Safe desktop.
- Mac OS 10.5: System Preferences > Security > Firewall > Set
it to Allow Specific Applications, and then add SplashID to
the list of exceptions
- Mac OS 10.4: System Preferences > Internet & Network > Sharing > Click
stop button to turn firewall off
- Solution 2: Disable anti-virus software. Anti-virus software
will close many ports and may block our sync service.
- Solution 3: Set up and Ad
- Windows -- Bonjour service is not running.
To check, go to Start -> Run. Type msconfig.
Under services tab, Bonjour must have a status of "Running." If
not, reinstall SplashID.
- Windows -- VPN service is active.
- Solution: Open the Properties settings for you wireless network
connection and uncheck the VPN service item. This may enable you
to sync. When you are finished you can turn the VPN service back
- Windows & Mac OS -- Our networking service may not be available.
- Solution: Restart your computer.
- Windows -- Bonjour needs to be repaired. It can
appear that Bonjour is installed and working, but in some cases it
actually needs to be repaired.
- Solution: Repair the Bonjour installation by going to Control
Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Select Bonjour > Click
> Follow prompts. Then try synching SplashID again.
- ZoneAlarm is Installed -- A new conflict has been
discovered with ZoneAlarm.
- Solution: Until we find a workaround, it is recommended that
you uninstall ZoneAlarm as this will prevent our applications from
synching over Wi-Fi successfully.
When I install and run SplashID Desktop, I
get this error:"This application has failed to start because dnssd.dll
was not found"
You will see this error if your Bonjour service is corrupted or out-of-date.
To fix this error, download latest version of Bonjour from:
Once you reinstall Bonjour, you will be able to successfully run SplashID.
I see the error: "SplashID
Cannot connect to desktop application. Please check your network settings
and try again"
This normally happens when the iPhone application is unable to
communicate with the Desktop. This may be due to a network problem. See
the connection FAQ above on locating the desktop for troubleshooting
When I try to sync, it gives me an error saying
the password doesn't match the desktop.
This most likely means that you have set the password on the desktop
correctly, but for the incorrect username. Select the correct iPhone
user from the User menu in the SplashID Safe desktop, and set the password
the same as the handheld.
When I create a new Category or Type, it does
not appear in the list.
Only Categories and Types that contain records are displayed. So if
you create a new Category/Type, it will not show up in the browser list
until you create a new record and select the new Category/Type, and save
Is SplashID compatible with the iOS 4.0
Yes, it has been tested and runs fine on iPhone devices running the
4.0 firmware update.
How do I find my desktop IP address?
SplashID desktop will display your IP address in the Setup Wizard screen
if you are running it for the first time, and in the Options > Sync screen
if you have already setup the desktop application.
If you still cannot find the IP address, you can look here on your system:
- Mac OS - System Preferences > Network. Under Connected
you should see your IP address.
- Windows - Go to Start > Run. Type "cmd" to open the command prompt.
Then type "ipconfig" and you will see your IP address listed.
Can't sync with SplashID desktop over VPN connection.
If you have a Cisco VPN client on your computer, verify that "Stateful
Firewall" under Options is not checked. This is true even if you
are NOT running the VPN client software. You may want to turn it back
on after syncing for security reasons.