GETTING STARTED GUIDE
SplashID Safe provides quick and easy access to all of your personal
identification information, including usernames, passwords, credit
cards, PINs, calling card numbers, frequent flyer numbers, insurance
info and more. Data is stored in a secure, encrypted, password protected
format and can be synchronized between SplashID Safe on your mobile device and
SplashID Safe on the desktop (Windows, Mac OS, and web). You may prefer to do most
of your data entry on the desktop, however, since it's faster
and easier with a keyboard, and then synchronize that data to your other SplashID Safe apps.
Based on an all new SplashID 7.0 architecture, SplashID Safe is now the only password manager that lets the user choose how to handle sensitive records:
SplashID Cloud Services is first and foremost seamless automatic sync across all your computers & devices via our secure cloud server: anywhere, anytime. It's the quintessential "set it and forget it" sync solution for secure data.
In addition to automatic sync, the optional SplashID Cloud Services also include a new web-based version of SplashID Safe, in-app support, and access to a full suite of identity protection services with experts available on demand by phone.
Pricing: $1.99/month or $19.99/year
This is the familiar Wi-Fi sync solution that has been in SplashID Safe since version 4. Manually connect the handheld and desktop apps over your local Wi-Fi network.
Pricing: $29.99 one-time purchase
This option exists for those users who don't plan on synchronizing their SplashID Safe data. Your data will exist only in the local database on the device, and will not be automatically backed up or synchronized with any desktop or web app.
Pricing: $9.99 one-time purchase
When you launch SplashID Safe for Windows you are presented with the Panel
View, which displays a list of your items in a 3-panel layout. Items
are records of information, like a credit card number and expiration
date; or a username and password for a web-site. There is another
useful view, List View, which you can select with the
View Mode buttons toward the top of the window.
SplashID Safe has some great features that defy categorization:
- Pattern Login -- If you are a fan of this feature
on the iPhone application, you can now use the same method to login
to the desktop.
- Smart Types -- The Panel View
has a small mini-panel at the bottom left which displays 10 of each
of the following Smart Types: Most Viewed, Recently Modified, and
Recently Viewed. These are similar to Smart Playlists in iTunes.
- Customizable Toolbar -- SplashID uses a ribbon
UI for the toolbar that MS Office users will be familiar with. We'll
go over the tools in the next section - Toolbar
- Sorting -- In the List View, click the column header to
sort by that column. Click again to reverse sort.
- Reminder feature for individual records -- To
use it, double click a record to edit, then click the Reminder button.
Choose the date in the future you want to be reminded to update the
record. Save. You'll get the reminder when you launch on that day.
Great for passwords that you need to change regularly or credit cards
Toolbars & Menus
SplashID Safe for Windows has an MS Office style Toolbar Ribbon. You
will find many of the tools in the 3 tabs of the ribbon.
- New -- Click to add a new record, type or category.
- Categories & Types -- Use the filters to
restrict the list to only display items assigned to a specific Categories
- View Mode -- Use the View Mode buttons to
select from the default Panel View, traditional List View, or hierarchical
- Security -- Change your password or lock the application.
- Options -- Access the Options panel.
- Search -- Enter some text you want to search for and results will
display instantly. Click the down arrow at the right to view search history.
- Clipboard -- Cut, copy and paste record(s) to/from
the clipboard. For security, clear passwords from the clipboard with
the (you guessed it) "Clear" button.
- Copy Fields -- Hover
your mouse pointer over the field you wish to copy, then click the
Copy button to copy that field to the clipboard.
- Database -- Reset SplashID is a great way to wipe
your database off a system when you are moving on. This option is only available to Wi-Fi or No Sync users. SplashID Cloud Services users should instead use the Logout feature found in the Application Menu (see below)
- Plugin -- You have the option of installing a
browser plugin (Internet Explorer only) that will add a search box
to the address bar. With this you can quickly look up a Web Login
from your SplashID database.
- View -- View an activity log for tech
support purposes. Enable/disable the Status Bar and Detail Pane.
found here will likely be found in the bottom toolbar or in the Application
menu indicated by the SplashID icon in the top left.
Access the Application
menu by clicking the SplashID icon in the top left.
- New -- Click to add a new record, type or
- Edit -- Edit the selected item, set Custom
Field Labels, or Add an Attachment (any file up to 1
MB) to the record for future reference. Attached files are
saved in a folder next to the database.
- Import -- Import SplashID vID files, CSV
files, and other export formats from similar applications.
- Export -- Export SplashID vID files for
various versions as well as CSV plain text files that can be
used for a number of applications.
- Backup -- Create a backup file of your database
that can be imported at a later date.
- Print -- Print the list of records.
- DeDupe Items - Searches for duplicate records and offers to delete them.
- Check for Update -- See if there is a newer
version of SplashID available for download.
- SplashID Feedback -- Send us feature requests,
bug reports, etc.
- Logout -- Allows SplashID Cloud Services users to logout of the app, deleting the local data, while preserving the data in the cloud.
- About -- Displays version information.
- Your SplashID Account -- Opens the account type and sync settings dialog.
- Display Options -- Customize the Quick Access toolbar
as well as the style of the ribbon UI.
- Exit -- Close the application.
When you click on a record in the Record List, it opens the Record Details on the right panel. This is also what you see when you tap the New Record button from the Record List.
- Copy Fields -- Hover your mouse pointer over the field you
wish to copy, then click the Copy button to copy that field to
the clipboard. You may then paste this field into another application
Note: You may also type Command-1 through Command-9
to copy fields 1 through 9 to the clipboard.
- Edit Record -- Opens the record in edit mode.
- Delete Record -- Deletes selected record.
- Show/Mask -- Toggles the masking for fields that have masking enabled.
- Email Record -- Send the selected record as a secure vID file. Note: it's only securely encrypted if you set a password.
- Web Autofill -- Opens Internet Explorer and fills in the username and password fields. Please
take note of the following:
- Record type must be assigned to Web Logins.
- Username and password fields should be filled in.
- URL field must begin with either http://, https:// or www.
Find the correct URL to get to the login screen on the selected website
-- this is often not the homepage. For example, for Amazon.com, use
- This may not work with all sites.
- Print Record -- Opens the print dialog for the selected record. Note: Printing sensitive data is not recommended.
When you double-click on a record in the Record List, it opens the Record Details on the right panel. This is also what you see when you click the New Record button from the Record List. Remember to click OK when you're done editing!
- Type -- Select the Type from the Type menu. The Type will dictate the default
field labels, icons, and masking preferences for the record. See more
about Categories and Types.
- Category -- In the top right of the Edit View screen,
you can change the Category. It will default to the Category you were
displaying when you created the record. See more about Categories
- Fields -- Enter your data according to the field
- Custom Field Labels -- You may assign Custom
Field Labels by clicking the Custom button on the right.
- Masking -- A bullet appears to the right of any
field that is masked. You may Customize the field masking by clicking the
Custom button on the right.
- Buttons --
- OK exits the record, saving any changes.
- Cancel exits the record, discarding any changes.
- Duplicate creates a copy of the record.
- Delete deletes the current record, after confirming
that is what you wish to do.
- Custom opens the Custom
Field Label dialog.
- Generate opens the Automatic Password Generator
- Autofill opens your web browser and fills in the username and password fields.
- Icon opens the icon selector. You can also
add a custom icon to any record - just click Add Icons from the
icon picker screen.
- Attach File: Attach a file (1 MB or less)
to the record for future reference by clicking the button next
to the Attachment field. Attached files are saved in a sub-folder of the SplashID data folder (Documents\SplashData\SplashID\)
- Print prints the record you are editing.
- Reminder allows you to set a reminder that will
appear on launch on the selected date.
To open the Automatic Password Generator, click the Generate
button in the edit dialog.
To create a password:
- Set the Length and/or strength.
- Check or uncheck the pronounceable setting.
- Choose from the Character Sets one or more options of letters,
numbers, symbols, or a combination thereof.
- Click Generate. Click again until you get a suitable password.
- Click OK when you have decided.
Categories & Types
The difference between Categories and Types is best illustrated
by example. You use Categories to separate your Business
records from your Personal records, while you use Types to
separate your Credit Card records from your Web Login records.
Categories act as filters for grouping related records. The
two predefined Categories are Business and Personal, though
you may add more by choosing Categories & Types from the left
Types act as templates, which define the structure for the
items you want to store in SplashID. You may define up to nine
Custom field labels and a default icon for each type, as well
as specify the fields you wish to mask.
- Edit Types -- Click the Edit Types button in the bottom
left. You may create an unlimited number of Types. Several sample
Types are provided, which you may edit or delete. Select an existing
type and click edit, or click New to create a new one. The Define
type dialog is displayed.
- Define Type -- Enter a name for the Type and up to 9 custom
field labels. The Mask check box specifies whether or not the data
in that field will be masked. And you may also specify a default icon
for the Type.
When you click the Options button or
select Options from the application menu, you will see the following options:
- Clear Clipboard -- Instruct SplashID to
clear copied text from your system's clipboard on exit
and/or after a specified number of minutes.
- Search Options -- Apply the search text to All Fields or Just Field
- Minimize Options -- Minimize to the Task Bar (like most applications)
or to the System Tray (bottom right - more compact).
- Auto-Submit Web Logins -- Check this box to automatically
submit forms when using the Web Auto-fill feature.
- Run SplashID on Startup -- Automatically
start SplashID when you log into you system.
- Play sound on Lock/Unlock -- Turns on or off the "click"
sound you hear at login.
- Clear Filters on Exit -- Resets the filter settings
to the default when you quit the app.
- Auto lock -- Set the period of inactivity
that must pass before the application locks itself. For your
security, the limit is 60 minutes.
- Database Location -- Select a Custom database
location, including network locations. Note: You cannot select
a folder that already contains a SplashID database.
- Default Backup Location -- Change the location
that the automatic vID backup is saved to.
- Enable Auto Backup -- If enabled, a VID
backup file of your database will be emailed to you. You can
set how often this happens in the field below. The VID file
can be imported in case of a catastrophic loss of data. Your
SplashID password protects the file.
- Font -- Select the Font type, style, size
and color from the fonts on your system.
- Row Color -- Select the color of the rows
in List View, which will also be applied as the background
color in the Panel and Tree Views.
Columns -- Select which field data columns
you would like to display in the List View.
Account - Edits the Account Type & Synchronization settings.
Setting a Password
-- You must set a password to protect your data.
- Remember this password. You will need to use this same password to open SplashID Safe on all platforms.
- Your password must be at least 4 characters in length.
- This password is case sensitive.
- A strong password of at least 6 characters including at least one number, one upper case character, and one non-alphanumeric character is strongly recommended.
- Once you set a password, SplashID
encrypts your data using 256-bit
Blowfish encryption to ensure data security.
- You can optionally enter a hint to remind you of your password if you
Entering a Password -- You will be required to enter your
password each time you open SplashID Safe, or if it locks after the specified timeout period.
Changing a Password -- To change a password, select Change
Password from the Security section on the Home toolbar, enter your Old Password, then enter
and confirm the New Password. If you change your password on any version of SplashID Safe, it will be change across the board on other versions. This is true for Wi-Fi and No Sync account types as well. You will be required to enter the old and new passwords the next time you login to other versions.
Click the Email button at the bottom of the app window to send records securely via email. You can choose to send the selected record(s), records currently in view, or all records.
Then you have the option to set a password, which will encrypt the file and is recommended. Then you will be taken to a screen where you enter the recipient address, subject, and any message you wish to add. A SplashID vID file will be attached to the email containing the record data. It can only be imported into the SplashID Safe desktop or web applications.
You have an important choice to make between local Wi-Fi sync and SplashID Cloud Services. Here's how they are used:
With version 7, we've introduced a new cloud syncing service that seamlessly updates any changes to your records when you launch the application. No more fussing with Wi-Fi sync (unless you want to).
Here's the great thing about it - we don't have to explain how to use it. Just login to your various SplashID Safe versions (iPhone, iPad, Mac, Windows, Android, Windows 8, Windows Phone, BlackBerry 10, and web app!) with the same email address, and your data synchronizes automatically. Never is it out of sync, never do you have to worry about loss of data or backing up. It just works.
This is the familiar Wi-Fi sync solution that has been in SplashID Safe since version 4. Manually connect the handheld and desktop apps over your local Wi-Fi network.
Items may be created or edited on the Handheld or Desktop and the
changes can be synchronized over your local Wi-Fi network. You can download
the SplashID Safe desktop for Mac or Windows from splashid.com.
By default information is synchronized in both directions, but you
can adjust the settings, in Sync settings which can be found in the Options dialog.
In most cases, you will wish to leave the Default setting (on the
right) set to Synchronize. This means that after changing it to Desktop
Overwrites Handheld and doing a sync, it will revert back to Synchronize
for the next sync so you don't have to go back in and change the setting
Here are the possible sync settings and the results they will bring
- Synchronize -- Changes made on the Handheld or the Desktop
will be synchronized. If a record is edited on both sides between
syncs, the latest edit will win.
- Desktop overwrites handheld -- All data on the Desktop is
copied to the handheld. Any data on the Handheld will be replaced.
- Handheld overwrites Desktop -- All data on the Handheld
is copied to the Desktop. Any data on the Desktop will be replaced.
In order to
synchronize, you must do the following:
- Turn Wi-Fi on on your handheld device, then select the same network
that your computer is on for your handheld to join
- Open the SplashID desktop
- Select the correct user from the User menu in the SplashID desktop
to match the device name
- Set the passwords the same on both the desktop and handheld software
- Adjust the Sync settings in Options > Sync if
- Start the Sync on the handheld, by dragging down on the Record List with your finger, or selecting Wi-Fi sync from the Settings screen
Manual IP Address Sync
If you have trouble connecting your handheld and desktop SplashID,
or if you want to want to sync remotely over the Internet, you can
sync using a manual IP address.
To do this, open the Sync dialog on the handheld and tap where it
says Enter an IP Address "To sync with."
Enter the IP address of the desktop computer, either on the local
network or the public IP if connected directly to the Internet You
can find this IP address in the SplashID Desktop under Options
Backup and Import
Automatic vID Backups
SplashID Safe has an automatic backup feature which will allow
you to easily recover data in most cases. Whenever the data has been
changed, a backup is made each time you exit SplashID Safe. A vID
export file is created (and encrypted with the same password you are
using in SplashID) and stored in:
Up to 5 backups will be saved incrementally. You can see which is
most recent by the file date. When 5 backups have been saved, SplashID
will start saving from backup 0.vid again. This is helpful in cases
where you had data loss and then exited the application. The most recent
backup may be empty, but the previous backups are likely to contain
If you later need to import this data, simply double-click the .vid
file and you will be prompted for a password and the data will be imported
into SplashID Safe.
You may change the location that this file is backed up to in SplashID
Automatic Email vID Backups
There is also an option in the Options screen to have a backup vID file emailed
to you on a specified schedule (every day by default) so that you can
potentially store this on an email server in case of catastrophic data
loss such as a failed hard drive.
Manual vID Backups
You may also perform a manual backup of your data by selecting
Backup from the File menu. This will export your SplashID Database
in vID format to whatever location you select. You will be given the
option to set a password as well, which will encrypt the data and require
the password to import it.
The SplashID Safe database file is automatically saved to the
SplashID directory on your hard drive each time you exit the application.
You may back up this file as an added precaution in case of a hard
drive failure. To restore the backup file simply copy it into the SplashID
directory. Then the next time you launch SplashID it will open the
file. This file is stored here:
You may change the location that this file is saved to in SplashID
SplashData offers technical support and other resources online. SplashID Safe support is customized to meet your needs. Please visit:
You can view knowledge base articles, ask public questions, and contact customer support to get the answers you need.